When I signed up for the Christmas assistance this year I was working 2 shifts a week. Child care and gas came out of my checks and out of child support came my phone and insurance bills. Leaving very little money left over. That's why I asked for help.
After asking for this help back in November, here comes December. December brings two girls at work going on maternity leave at the same time. I end up with 3 shifts a week. I was told I wasn't going to be getting 3 shifts, this was unexpected. This week I ended up with 4 shifts. Then the bonus.
Can you say hello Christmas! Since the bonus took care of half the people I had to buy for that leaves more money for Mae. Or does it?
If I was uncaring and unfeeling maybe. Since I'm not that means Mae gets two presents less. I figure that today at the assistance thing I was able to pick out a few really nice gifts for her. I even lucked out and was able to get her a doll that I didn't know she wanted, liked, or knew about until yesterday. I saw that doll and all but snatched it to put in my cart. Then Mae also has Christmas coming from the adopt a family program. She is getting a beautiful daybed from my mom and grandpa for Christmas. She has enough for Christmas now.
My girlfriend K is really struggling too. The only reason her and I have nice cars is because of taxes. Hell thats the only reason I have the internet, I pay for a year at tax time lol. But K has had some issues pop up. Her car, a window, and then some how she screwed up the electric bill. The only bill worse to mess up is the water bill. They will shut you off a minute after the hour the day your bill is late. All her money has now gone for her car and to pay the electric bill. She told me today that she has enough left to buy her two kids one gift each. She wasn't able to and couldn't afford to take time off work to sign up for Christmas assistance.
I felt horrible for her when she told me this. I know how hard she works to get by and maybe have something left over. I went out today and bought Sidney two presents to put under the tree. I wasn't asked to do it, I didn't do it to get something, I didn't do it for any other reason that it was right. I only have to buy a couple more presents and that I can do with next weeks whopper paycheck. Sidney deserves more than one present under her tree. K has been a good friend to me and I know she would do it for me.
I got to pay it forward like I've been hearing a lot of. I'm glad I can help, but it sucks that we are all in the position of being the court juggler. Not being selfish is really hard. I'm still going to get Mae another present along with the stuff I already bought her. Let me tell you Toys R Us sucks ass at Christmas. But I braved it and got her the bath toy she wanted.
Thank god we are almost back to worrying about regular bills and not extra money.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment