I think we are beyond prayers for Grandpa's comfort and are now moving to prayers for my family.
I have a great support system. DJ has Mae until 8am monday. Tammy has been a godsend. Kimmi is a call away. Dawn calls and helps me when I need it.
When Dawn called today, I don't know if I expressed how greatful I was for her call. She is one of the people I trust to not bullshit me. To not say something just to make me feel better, but because she knows. After talking to her; probably no more than an hour later I was really greatful.
My dad showed up to drive me to the hospital. It's never good when they don't call and just send someone.
My mom and dad were going to go to a friends daughters wedding. She went to say good bye and his oxygen had dropped so fast that they were working on putting the bipap on him.
I don't blame her for being scared! She didn't want to call me and just sent dad.
Grandpa isn't doing good. He isn't talking now, though his hands are doing that moving. And he fights you when he wants to move them. Though before he left us, hopefully just for the night, I did get my fair share of I love you's from him.
Tomorrow I think they are going to talk about "making him comfortable". There's a medical word for it, but I can't remember what mom said. That isn't good. Making a person comfortable usually means you don't have them for much longer.
My sister and her family made it up tonight. I lost it when she was crying and telling Grandpa how much she loves him and how much he means to her. I will admit to being just plain mean and hateful in my head. While I was crying I was thinking if he meant so damned much to you, why did you only see him 5 times a year?? IF that because sometimes she skipped some holidays. Yes it was mean and hateful but that's only because I think I love my Grandpa more than her. Do I? Probably not, I just love him different. Doesn't mean I don't think she should have spent more time with him and should have sent Katie to visit all those times I asked. Because not only did Katie not visit with me and her sister...she was also missing out on time with Grandpa.
I'm a mess. But I'm not a throw me in a padded room mess. At least not yet. That's where DJ is going to come in handy lol. Poor DJ he gets the fucked up insane Heather when the bad shit really happens. But I'm glad he is willing to be there.
I didn't say goodbye goodbye to my Grandpa. And if by coming home I don't get to say goodbye goodbye...it's ok because I held him and i loved on him, and i talked to him and that's even better than saying goodbye!
Tomorrow I'll tell Grandpa that I'll be ok. That if he needs to he can let go. Not those exact words but that will be the meaning. And I'll most likely cry and cry tomorrow.
Please pray for my family and the only man to never let me down. It's another adventure through hell....god there are way to many levels!
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's called palliative care. It's what we do for Taylor.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I could help in some small way. Just hang on to the fact that no matter how many levels you go down to, there are those of us who will help you come back up.
Hang in there chica...you are stronger than you feel.
*great big hugs*
I looked up "palliative care" and it doesn't mean the same as hospice care (that does mean the end). It's a total support system for the patient AND family. They make the patient comfortable by whatever means they need to use, while providing the care needed to get better. So, it's more like giving you hope instead of letting go.
ReplyDeleteYou seem to have a pretty good support team, though some can't help IN person, they still send prayers and good thoughts. Hang in there.
I'm not going by the cyber definition of "palliative care". I'm using it because that is what Taylor's doctors called it for us. It's keeping her comfortable but not doing anything invasive or major for her and letting time take it's course.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I latched on to that phrase because it doesn't denote "the end" is on top of us.
I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just trying to find a positive side.
ReplyDeleteYou didn't offend me at all. I was just explaining my perspective because it tends to be a lot different than the norm.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry if I made you feel like I was offended. I think sometimes the word can be confusing because while in hospice you always recieve palliative care, but also palliative care can be given outside of hospice.
I think it's just me not wanting to say my child has hospice care because it brings it to the front of the brain way more than i'm comfortable with.
We both have the same goals...helping Heather, so please, no offense was taken at all.