Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breastfeeding while on the clock

I am a huge fan of breastfeeding babies. I don't care if you do it for a day or for a year, but I believe strongly that every baby should be breastfed for sometime. I don't come down on parents who decide that's not for them. I just believe in the power of the breastmilk.

Why am I such a believer? Because in this day and age of sanitize at every turn I don't think a kid's immune system is all that. Do I have any medical knowledge of what I'm talking about or about to say...Hell no, just experience.

My two children were breast fed. One for about 3 months and the other 8 months +. My oldest I just wasn't mommy enough to give her more than that, I was after all all of 19. RyderMae however got the boob til she was done which was about 8 or 9 months. Both of my children are hardly EVER sick with anything other than the common cold and ear infections. When Ryder gets the nasty puke stuff, which in almost 4 yrs has been a handful of times. I credit the breast milk because hello we are over sanitizing the world. My comparison comes in the form of my sisters sickly children. They weren't nursed, and though she thinks she's breastfeeding them, they have gotten way more formula because she does the pump n dump so she can still drink.

Her kids are always sick with something besides the common cold. So thats where I'm drawing some of my opinion. I have read lots of articles that tell all the things the breastmilk helps promote and what they think it helps promote.

I also have NO PROBLEM with a mom whippin a tit out to feed her kid. I don't care if its covered or not. Most women cover because well in our society it's what's at least expected.

So how do you feel about going into buy a sandwhich at your favorite local sub shop and walking around is a worker nursing her baby. Not just nursing the baby in a quiet out of the way spot, BUT walking around for all to see knowing what she's doing while the only other employee tries to work down a line by herself?

I would be pissed off. Especially knowing that this is a mother who suppliments with formula. There is no reason for her to have her child at work to be fed. The girl who was working was pissed off. She helped a big line of customers and made 4 bucks in tips. Which the breastfeeding mom wanted half of.

Hello...you weren't working. You were nursing your baby, on the clock, doing nothing that resembled work.

Yea i know its a stupid bitch, but its a gripe none the less. The other girl didn't want to speak up, i made a phone call. HOpefully its been addressed. If not, god help the girl if she ever tries to do that to me!

Anyways it was a short rant. Bottom line...dont be nursing your baby while on the clock at work and expect me to be ok with doing all the work. Its work not a daycare!

1 comment:

  1. I happen to agree with you. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public as long as you are not throwing it in people's faces. Sitting in a quiet corner in public is perfectly acceptable to me.

    Why was this woman's child at her job anyway? That's a bigger question to me. I used to work for Subway, so I know what it's like to work in a sandwhich place and it's not a place to bring your baby. That's what childcare is for.

    On a side note, I wished I could have breastfed Taylor but unfortunately, she required tube feeding.

    Preach it sister! It's a perfectly good rant.

    ReplyDelete