http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20100811/NEWS01/100811002/1079/
I worry about Mae. I worry all the time about if I am being a good mom. I have doubts about that every single day. I think that all good parents worry about their ability to parent. It takes a lot of hard work to turn out a good kid.
I'm checking my mail today and that link is the article that stood out.
Her 4 yr old was missing for over an hour before she called anyone. I've lost Mae twice, both times I had someone else helping me watch her. I know it happens. BUT I also know that after checking the immediate area if you don't find your child, you CALL for help.
The first time I lost Mae I went to take a shower and asked Grandpa to watch Mae. This was when she first started getting some freedom in the house lol. I got out of the shower and realized it was too quiet. I threw on my clothes and checked the inside of the house and then immediately went outside. I found her in the backyard, in her pajamas playing on the swingset. After the, at most, 10 minutes it took to look for her, if I hadn't found her I would have called the police. At 3 and 4 years old if a 10 minute self search can't locate your kid, something is wrong!
The second time I lost Mae I went outside to have a smoke. I asked her dad to watch her while I went out. We both knew where she was when I left. I came back inside and the first thing I did was look for her. She wasn't there. Went up to where she had been and looked around, checked the bathroom, walked back through the tables, and then asked her dad where she was. He told me she was at the front, no she wasn't. He didn't know where she was. Started asking people and looking for her. 5 minutes later she's found sitting at the front bar(we were at a benefit) just hanging out with a toy and having her drink. If I hadn't have found her again I would have called the police.
This woman waited an hour to call the police. And it wasn't the first time she's lost her kid. Both times the kid could have been seriously hurt. NOW they are going to do an investigation on her. I don't understand the waiting an hour to call the police. I totally get losing the kid, but both times not calling really makes me question her commitment to her child.
I'm glad the little girl is safe, but am fearful for the home she lives in. How hard is it to pick up the phone and call for help. What motivates a person to not call for help. How do you live with the fact that your actions/inactions could lead to your child being seriously hurt?
I'm not the best parent, but I am one of the better ones. I hope that everything comes out good for the girl. I really hope this mother gets the help she needs.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey, I lost Taylor twice as well so I don't think you are a bad parent. Actually, the first time, it was the entire family that lost Taylor.
ReplyDeleteWe were in Fla on vacation & Taylor was only 5. She couldn't really walk on her own yet, so we didn't expect she could get out of the condo. Well, that was the day she learned to pull herself up & pull on the door handle and scare the crap out of me. We found her in just over 10 minutes.
The 2nd time was 7 years later and I was working 25 full time jobs. That time a neighbor found her. It still gives me the shakes to think about that time.
But yeah, I definitely get that you call the police if you can't find your child by at the most, 15 minutes.