Friday, August 21, 2009

Once again i find myself conflicted when it comes to the asshole. As a parent who has been cut out of a lot of my childs life, i do feel some sympathy for the asshole because another part of his childs life is going to be cut off from him.

While i feel that conflict because of my own situation. Im not going to stop myself from being part of what keeps the asshole cut out. The assholes actions on many many occasions over the past 5 years has helped me come to forgive myself for leaning towards the cutting him out part.

This person is not able to act appropriately in a social setting. I dont know why and it is no longer my place to try to fix that. Because of this very big problem, along with the fact that there is no longer any meaningful conversation between us. The asshole is going to be missing out on Mae's first steps into her life.

Today we had our headstart preschool orientation. Ohhh how sweet that is, as i hold back the tears because 3 years has gone by so fast. She is such a big girl and such a good sweet girl! My family, my meaningful friends, and me have raised her well. So far so good, lets all knock on some wood.

She still cries when i leave her at daycar, but today when i left the room to go do the adult portion of orientation. She didnt cry or look scared in the least.

We got to her room and we found her name tag. They moved her name tag around and she found it right away. She can track lol. Then the teachers were introducing themselves, Hi my name is Miss Mary, Miss Rhonda and another Miss, sorry there were a lot of new faces i forgot, nice to meet you and put out their hand to shake. And MY MAE! Oh My Mae...she put her little hand out and shook their hands like a big girl and said Hi Miss Mary, Miss Rhonda, Miss....and she even got out nice to meet you to one of them. Ohhhhh it was so good to see that all our hard work was fruitful.

I cant imagine having missed that. To read it is one thing, im pretty sure i convey how my heart swelled with love and pride for what we have accomplished. But to be there in person to see it, to actually feel that feeling of when your child does something and does it appropriately and the way they should. Ooo its a big great feeling.

Do you see where the conflict is coming in? Who would really want to miss their childs first steps into life? I guess when it comes to later in life when Mae asks why her dad wasnt at stuff ill have to find a way to explain to her how he has acted and continues to act in public.

I cant take the chance of the asshole being there or showing up and being inappropriate. Some of the things the asshole has said is so inappropriate that im not even going to explain it here. I tried to explain it to the asshole but the asshole doesnt care, because the same behavior continues.

So for the sake of my sanity, my childs well being, and the start of her new life....im going to once again have to make the hard choices. Sometimes though these hard choices are made easier because of others peoples actions, reactions. All the school needs to know is that the situation isnt pretty and because of that me and my family are the ones who will be the responsible parties to Mae and her education, health and well being.

Believe it or not i do feel kind of bad for the asshole. The only thing that makes it better is knowing that i am not the one who put the asshole in this situation. That this isnt a position that i really wanted to be in, but i have no control over others actions, reactions, words, and whatever else. My job is to make sure Mae is happy and healthy and so far im doing a pretty good job.

Heres to Monday.... a new start for Mae, a new naptime, and all the joys being 3 brings.

5 comments:

  1. School time! School rocks. Unfortunately, this is Taylor's last year. She graduates at the young age of 20. If her damn birthday wasn't August 18th, she would get in one more year. Special Ed kids get to go until they are 21.

    However, we are treating this year as Taylor's "Senior" year with pictures, yearbook, and the whole graduation thing...not that she has any clue. As to what she is going to do after? I have no freakin' clue. I say this with all the love in my heart, but my child is too delayed to even be a Wal-Mart greeter.

    Here's to making life choices for a twenty-something who has never made it past toddlerhood!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so so so wonderful to hear of her little world starting to open and bloom. I am just in awe hun!!
    I do hate that he is missing all of this. I honestly do, it is especially sad, as he better than anyone should understand the concept of behavior modification in PUBLIC..
    he needs to rethink this all and be a part of her world. HER world.. not yours.. not his.. HERS.. this is different and he needs to see he is missing some great moments..
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, you should be proud of yourself, and definitely of Mae, and those in her life. I hope you have many more moments like that. We just had one exactly like that during what is called School Night (Orientation the night before school). I may not be the biological mom, but even I swelled with pride when she was so polite.

    In my opinion it means she understands things the asshole probably doesnt understand. She likes the person, and wants them to like her back. She wouldnt hurt someone she likes by being rude. She understands the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Probably without you even having to drill it into her time and time again.

    And she gets it from you. You are doing such a great job. Keep it up, and maybe someday (hopefully before he has done permanent damage to his relationship with Mae) he will change his ways enough that he can be involved more in her life.

    I know what it's like to grow up with a dad I hardly knew. And I am still dealing with the emotions and damage done from finding out why I was kept from him for so long. I just wish I could take away the guilt my mom had to suffer with for so long for taking my dad out of my life. It was what she had to do, and I am glad she did.

    I had enough in my life when growing up without dealing with what he would have added. And someday she will probably thank you too if he keeps up with the way he is going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children have this amazing ability to love unconditionally, however, they see and understand a lot more than we think they do. There will be a day that she refers to him as the asshole and it won't be anyones fault but his own.

    Yay on the milestone, there will be so many more!! She will remember you were the one that was there for them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ladies! Your comments mean so much and we have all been through so much as children and with our children. Its good to know that while i may be a little crazed over Mae that its not unfounded and as long as i dont push my opinion on Mae she will form hers and im thinking you are all right, its not going to be up to me to carry that guilt, but the assholes.

    ReplyDelete