When things are good they're good. When things are bad they're bad. When they happen, I blog! Here I am again lol with a new story! I love when I can share stories!
As I mentioned in the previous blog we had a home visit scheduled for today. We had an awesome home visit, if I do say so myself!
Two of her teachers came over and they pulled out there assessment form. Preschool through the school system and headstart both do A LOT of assessments on the children. Today's assessment was to see how many of the upper and lower case letters Mae knows.
Let me tell you something lol! Mae has known her letters since sometime last year. She can sing the alphabet song and she can recognize letters when shown them on a card or pointed out to her. She also knows how to spell her name. Today she even surprised the teachers and me!
When they were going through the letters they came to R and the teacher said your name starts with that. She knows that already btw is what I wanted to say, but you can't brag too much lol. Then they came to the letter N and Mae says I know who's name starts with that. My friend Noah! My jaw dropped, the teachers jaw dropped. I didn't know she knew that Noah started with an N! That is a good sign, a VERY good sign!
She only missed a couple letters and I know why. It's because of how they are written. Written letters look different according to whoever wrote them or who printed them. It's like font ya know. The goal for the school system is that by the end of the year or half way through that every child knows and recognizes 20 letters. Yea um Mae is way way way past that lol.
This year she will start learning to write her letters. I also asked when she would start learning to read. I am a HUGE reader! I love books like I love my family. She told me that first grade is when they want them reading. Not like the first day but definitly by the end of the year. Last year she said they had like 4 kids who could read by the end of the year. Well the begining reading. AND she thinks that Mae will definitly be reading by kindergarten or shortly after.
I told Mae that when she learns to read she can check out books at the library. The teacher told her she could read to me. Mae said Noooo my mama reads to me. Yeah we laughed lol.
The teacher said she is making friends, is learning that she doesn't get to have her way and it only takes one redirection to get her going. It's not even a full week of preschool yet and Mae is already on the road to success!
Yayyyy the hard work Mae and I put in last year is showing and it stuck! Yayyyy! Thank god the easy parts come first lol.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a good "mommy" moment!! Children ALWAYS have a leg up when a parent cares! Good job!
ReplyDelete